Chewy’s IT Business intelligence team supports Chewy’s front-end data stack, which enables our users to leverage our data resources. We are seeking an experienced Business Intelligence Engineer III to join our team in Minneapolis, MN.
The IT Business Intelligence team serves a wide and varied audience of data users. We’re looking for an Engineer that has excellent technical skills, can build scalable solutions, and has a strong passion for data analysis. Most importantly, we’re looking for a candidate that is deeply passionate about data and looking to grow their career in a fast-paced dynamic environment. This role will have the opportunity to experience all areas of Business Intelligence from rolling out new BI tools to providing user support, platform administration, report development, data pipeline management, automation, and data analysis.
The ideal candidate will showcase broad technical skills with excellent analytic abilities, and the ability to make data-backed decisions. If you are passionate about data and want to join a growing IT Analytics team within Chewy - this role offers a fantastic mix of technical and business challenges.
As a BI Engineer III, your role will be to maintain the performance and upkeep of Chewy’s Analytical data stack. The role will help create and manage sites, folders, groups, workbooks, and other items to optimize the accessibility and use of the environments. The role will also serve as the developer and coordinator of complex API interactions with the server to refresh data, push notifications, and perform other tasks needed on both an Adhoc and scheduled basis. Responsible for performing advanced installations, upgrades, testing, maintenance, and customization of Tableau application.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage multiple environments of Tableau both on-prem and cloud.
- Manage multi-node Tableau environments
- Lead efforts to migrate on-prem environments to the cloud
- Identify opportunities for optimization
What You’ll Need:
- Candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- 5+ years of experience with detailed knowledge of BI data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT, and reporting/analytic tools
- 5+ years of experience architecting and administrating a multi-node Tableau environment
- Strong understanding of Tableau Architecture and cloud platform, preferably AWS.
- Experience creating tickets and independently managing the vendor for issues arising from software.
- Experience with TSM, Tabcmd, and Tabadmin.
- Write and run Python/PowerShell/Bash scripts for automation, maintenance activities, especially for Tableau Server.
- Develop and document standards/best practices/governance for the administration of the Tableau platform.
- Licensing key management for Tableau Server & Desktop.
- Experience with performance tuning of tableau servers and workbooks.
- Create/Manage Sites, Folders, Sub-folders, Groups, Workbooks and Projects, Database Views, Data Sources, and Data Connections
- Proactively identify processes that would benefit from system automation to improve analytics team effectiveness and increase operating efficiencies
- Work closely with architects, cloud engineers to ensure optimal functioning of the application.
- Proactively communicate with the Customer/Stakeholders to resolve issues and get work done.
- Good knowledge of Tableau PostgreSQL tables to monitor server activity/usage statistics to identify possible performance issues/enhancements and potential threats.
- Expertise in Tableau platform sizing, troubleshooting, tuning & disaster recovery.
- 5+ years of experience of AWS experience
- Architecting, building, and maintaining cost-efficient, scalable cloud environments for the organization.
- Understanding the business objectives of the company and creating cloud-based solutions to facilitate those objectives.
- Moving archaic systems into the cloud for more efficiency within the organization – aka digital transformation.
- Keeping cloud environments secure and preventing downtime or security breaches.
- Determining the risk associated with third-party platforms or frameworks.
- Designing, building, maintaining internal cloud applications for the organization.
- Transferring data and internal processes to cloud architecture.
- Keeping data leakage and downtime to an absolute minimum.
- Keeping up to date on best practices in cloud computing and making improvements to the cloud infrastructure of their company or organization.
- Communicate with stakeholders and build applications to meet project needs.
- Making hardware and software recommendations for the organization, based on the needs of the project and organization.
- Knowledge and experience with change management processes.
- Knowledge and experience with the BI development and ETL life cycle processes.
- Experience administrating data pipelining and automation tools like KNIME, Alteryx, UIpath, etc.
- Experience administrating data cataloging tools like Alation, Collibra, etc.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR@chewy.com.