At VSCO, our mission is to nurture creativity so you can make it. We are a leading photo and video editor with a library of 200+ premium quality presets and tools, an easy-to-use video editor, and a curated collection of photography of all genres, styles and aesthetics from our global community of talented creators. We are looking for humble overachievers and self-starters who are naturally curious, highly organized, and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. We foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, ambition, and progress.
VSCO is seeking a Head of Data to join our Executive Team in helping drive our business through the processing of billions of data points generated every single day by VSCO’s creators. As Head of Data you will lead the Data Science and Data Engineering teams which are responsible for evaluating, building and scaling all data pipelines and data-related systems. In this role, you will collaborate with stakeholders across Finance, Marketing, Product, Engineering, and Legal to set the team’s priorities, develop a clear roadmap, and influence all facets of the data strategy to help VSCO grow. There is a lot in place to support your success including direct reporting to our President and ample people, resources and systems in your direct control.
- Drive the technical vision and deliver a world-class data platform on which critical business decisions are made
- Drive and evaluate a build-versus-buy decision on parts of our data infrastructure and tooling
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and leaders on defining and designing scalable data infrastructure
- Lead planning and create a framework with which the team manages decisions and priorities based on the needs of the business
- Drive the design, building, and launch of new data models and data pipelines at scale, by guiding the team and being hands on
- Manage the team’s backlog and priorities, and operate within existing systems to ensure expectations are clear and being met for all stakeholders
- Drive data quality across datasets and systems by defining and managing SLAs
- Facilitate team rituals including, stand-ups, planning, demos, backlog refinement, and retrospectives
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of skilled data engineers proactively, with continuous feedback, thought leadership, partnership, and formal reviews
- Collaborate with Executive Team to contribute to overall company strategy and growth
- 6+ years experience in software development for data systems at scale
- 4+ years of experience managing other engineers
- Experience using metrics to drive product and business decisions
- Solid track record of solving business challenges with strategic thinking, working across departments and solving challenges both in and out of engineering
- Proven history of shipping data platform products and have successfully achieved pay-off threshold
- Clear point of view on scaling data systems and implementation approaches informed by your experience
- Experience working on data platform, ETL, data warehouses on AWS
- Expertise in Python, SQL, Scala and Golang
- Robust knowledge of agile principles and Scrum practices, including relative estimation, prioritization, planning, refinement, and retrospectives
- Track record of recruiting, managing, and retaining talented engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand and navigate the data warehouse model from a low granular level as well as from a high strategic level
- Experience building a company’s overall data strategy real-time logging, data warehouse/lake development, training/productionalizing machine learning systems, experimentation framework, etc
- Drive new data infrastructure initiatives to help improve processes for the data teams and the company at large
Nice to have
- Experience working with consumer product data
- PhD in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, economics, computer science, computational psychology)
- Experience building a culture that positively impacts all of engineering
- A deep appreciation for photography, video and/or other aspects of the arts
- A virtual first workplace with quarterly company-wide travel events to connect and play.
- Competitive Salary & Equity
- Healthcare insurance, vision, dental insurance for employees and families
- Flexible vacation policy
- Creative Fridays, VSCO Create weeks (our version of hack week), and so much more.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
We believe in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.
The base salary for this position may vary based on several factors, including the approved job level. The base salary range for this role is $233,000-$253,000. Salary is one component of our total compensation package. This position also qualifies for bonuses and equity (i.e. stock options). The benefits available for this position include flexible time off, a 401K retirement plan, insurance (medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, short and long term disability), and 11 paid holidays. We also provide paid sick time as required by state and local law. Additional benefits and perks are also offered for this position.