Effectual Cloud Engineers (CEs) are members of the Commercial Professional Services team responsible for ensuring that customer-facing projects are delivered with exceptional customer satisfaction and technical excellence. Effectual CEs are “Brand Ambassadors” and are expected to stay current on leading practices to deliver high-quality, well-conceived solutions to customers.
A Glimpse into the Daily Routine of a Cloud Engineer
A Cloud Engineer joins the client’s effort as part of the delivery team. CEs bring their expertise in AWS, from design to implementation. They collaborate alongside Cloud Network Engineers, Cloud Architects, and other team members, ensuring the clients needs are fully satisfied.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Enabling customers’ use of AWS to achieve their business objectives through:
- Implementing cloud infrastructure, using Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC), including but not limited to:
- Creating Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) resources such as subnets, network access control lists, and security groups
- Creating IAM users and groups
- Deploying, testing, and documenting development, pre-production, and production environments
- Composing and leveraging Infrastructure-as-Code (e.g.: AWS CloudFormation templates, Terraform, etc.) to ensure repeatable, sustainable AWS infrastructure
- Creating gold images / AMIs and configuring auto scaling
- Configuring multi-factor authentication on virtual and hardware devices
- Supporting developers in efficiently working within AWS through:
- Creating Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- Providing input and guidance to developers on overall AWS Architecture and design tenets
- Demonstrating an "as-code" first mindset through the regular use and advocacy of Terraform or other "as-code" tools
- Establishing visibility into cloud operations through:
- Leveraging resource tagging to allocate costs and optimize resource planning
- Assisting in preparing cost analysis based on expected usage
- Configuring AWS cloud infrastructure for maximum technical and budgetary efficiency
- Supporting the migration of customers from on-premises environments to AWS through:
- Assisting in the development of migration plans
- Executing migration plans, which may include:
- Migrating VMs using tooling such as Clumio, VMware HCX, Veeam, AWS CloudEndure, etc.
- Confirming the migration of resources into AWS and decommissioning on-premises resources
- Supporting rigorous project governance and execution achieved through:
- Meeting with team members daily to review progress
- Holding team members accountable for and challenging team members on technical solution implementation approaches to achieve optimal outcomes
- Submitting time on assigned projects, daily
- Supporting project delivery team members by:
- Always operating with transparency
- Being responsive to requests from team members for information
- Communicating working preferences and understanding the working preferences of others to help develop a high-performing team that operates with respect, effectiveness, and efficiency
- Additional responsibilities as requested
- Travel may be required at times. Approximately 20% or less
- 3+ years of DevOps / SRE experience working in AWS environment(s) and / or supporting software development team(s) consisting of at least:
- 1+ year of experience developing AWS cloud infrastructure
- 1+ year of Terraform experience
- 1+ year of experience developing CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, GitHub, and Azure DevOps
- 1+ year of experience creating automated alerts and monitoring dashboards
- 1+ year of experience using Vault
- Strong working knowledge of leading AWS cloud security practices
- Proficient in developing Infrastructure-as-Code (e.g.: Terraform / AWS CloudFormation)
- Proficient in coding configuration management tooling (e.g.: Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.)
- Proficient in at least one or more programming / scripting languages (e.g.: Python, Java, Groovy, etc.)
- Demonstrable knowledge of Agile and Waterfall SDLC methodologies
- Ability to work with multiple clients, in parallel
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional communication and time management
Nice-to-Have Skills and Experience
- AWS certifications (e.g.: Developer Associate, Sysops Administrator Associate, Solution Architect Associate, etc.)
- Experience with Terraform Enterprise and or Terraform Cloud
- Experience with Hashicorp's overall product portfolio (e.g.: Vault, Consul, Boundary, etc.)
- Container development
- Container orchestration using platforms such as Kubernetes, Docker, AWS EKS, etc.
- Implementing static and dynamic code analysis tools within CI/CD pipelines
- Use of code analysis tools such as AWS X-Ray, AppDynamics, Dynatrace, etc.
Company Offered Benefits
Full-time employees are eligible to participate in our employee benefit programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision health insurances,
- Short term disability, long term disability and life insurances,
- 401k with Company match
- Paid time off (PTO) (120 hours PTO that accrue over one year)
- Paid time off for major holidays (14 days per year)
- These and any other employee benefit offerings are subject to management’s discretion and may change at any time.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work is generally performed in an office environment. Physical demands include sitting, keyboarding, verbal communication, written communication. Employees are occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Salary Range for this position: $90,000-$160,000
CA ID: IT10000642B
"Salary ranges provided are for informational purposes only and may vary depending on factors such as experience, qualifications, and geographic location. The final salary offer will be determined based on the candidate's skills and alignment with the role requirements."
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended anytime at the sole discretion of the Employer. Duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship. Effectual Inc. is an EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected classification in its hiring, promoting, or any other job-related opportunity.